Art Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning April 20
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to email@example.com or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- Call for Submissions: “A Taste of the Peninsula,” opening May 26 at Kefauver Studio & Gallery, Damariscotta. Deadline is May 8. FMI: kefauverstudio.com.
- Residential Writers’ Workshop at Whitehead Light Station, Thursday-Sunday, August. 17-20. Writer Linda Buckmaster leads all levels. Register by May 1: whiteheadlightstation.org.
FRIDAY, APRIL 21:
- Artist’s Reception for Paul Sherman at Savory Maine, Damariscotta, 3-5 p.m. His paintings of lobsters, buoys and boats, reflections and doorknobs hang to May 22.
- Artist Trading Card Program in Rockland, 5-7 p.m. at Coastal Children’s Museum. Adults and kids are invited to explore mediums as they make cards, which can then be traded. $10. Sign-up: firstname.lastname@example.org or 596-0300.
- Spring Blossom Paint Night at Art Loft Rockland, 6-8 p.m. Instructor Kim Nicoll gives step-by-step instructions that let you transform a canvas in two hours. Snacks served during break. Bring your own wine or beer. $35. FMI: 200-7915, artloftrockland.org.
SUNDAY, APRIL 23:
- Introduction to Drop Spinning at Art Loft Rockland, 1-3 p.m. Learn how to use an inexpensive, easy-to-make spindle to turn wool into yarn in this class led by Lori Schafer. $25. FMI: artloftrockland.org, 200-7915.
MONDAY, APRIL 24:
- 2017 Maine Crime Wave Writers’ Conference, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at USM in Portland. Panel and author talks, plus Maine Attorney General Janet Mills on the truth about crime in Maine during her keynote talk. FMI: mainewriters.org.
- Fiber Festival at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. With shearing and sheepdog demos, artisan vendors, face painting & felted crafting for kids, more. $8 tix: pinelandfarms.org.
- Free Adult Art Class at Rockland Library, 11 a.m. With a focus on drawing in color. Led by Catinka Knoth. Materials provided. This week: Tulips.
- Paint the Sky! at Art Loft Rockland, 1-3 p.m. Learn mixed media methods from instructor Frieda Hanlon for creating dramatic but simple-to-produce day and starry or moonlit night skies . $35. FMI: artloftrockland.org, 200-7915.
TUESDAY, APRIL 25:
- Belfast Free Sketchers to Meet Fourth Tuesdays in April & May, from 2-4 p.m. at Belfast Free Library. New members are welcome at the free meetings during which facilitator Rita Swidrowski brings in books, resources and ideas for an optional mini theme. Bring your materials.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26:
- 5-Week Batik Class in Rockport, at Camden Hills Regional High School from 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays starting April 26. Bo Smith leads it. $35 plus $30 materials fee. FMI: fivetowns.maineadulted.org or 236-7800 x5.
THURSDAY, APRIL 27:
- 4-Week Gold-Leafing Course in Rockport, at Camden Hills Regional High School from 5:30-7 p.m. Thursdays starting April 27. Bo Smith leads it. $30 plus $90 materials fee. FMI: 236-7800 x5 or fivetowns.maineadulted.org.
- Paint Night at The Green Door in Waldoboro, 6:30 p.m. Artist Libbie Winslow leads the guided session where you’ll make an acrylic painting of spring flowers in the moonlight. All materials supplied. Refreshments available. $20. FMI: 832-4774, medomakarts.org.
- Macrophotography Workshop in Rockland, Saturday, April 29, 1-3:30 p.m. at Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Lisa Mossel Vietze, whose work is on display there, leads it. You should know how to use your digital camera’s manual modes and have a macro lens. $25 suggested donation. Registration: 594-0600, email@example.com.
- Photographer Paul Caponigro to Present Retrospective, Sunday, April 30, 4 p.m. at Cushing Historical Society’s Meeting House on Hathorn Point Road. He’ll show photos and discuss his process.
- Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockland. “David Driskell: Renewal and Form,” to May 11. “Mark Wethli: Piper Cub,” to May 14. “Sam Cady: Parts of the Whole,” through May 21.
- Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland. “Art of Disaster,” through April 23. “Andrew Wyeth at 100: Dr. Syn,” through Sept. 9. “The Olson House: Photographers’ Muse,” through Oct. 29. “Andrew Wyeth at 100: Maine Drawings,” through Dec. 31. “Andrew Wyeth: Maine Watercolors, 1938–2008,” through Dec. 31.
- Maine State Museum, Augusta. “Beyond Boundaries: The World of the Capote,” through Sept. 30.