Art Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning February 16
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- 13th Annual Belfast Poetry Festival, on Oct. 14, seeks presenters. Submit to the jury by March 15: belfastpoetry.com.
- Call for Artists & Writers: for spring & summer residencies at Joseph A. Fiore Art Center at the Rolling Acres Farm in Jefferson. FMI: mainefarmlandtrust.org.
- Call for Actors: 2017 Camden Shakespeare Festival, for July and August runs of Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado About Nothing. FMI: email@example.com.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16:
- Rescheduled: Darlene Cocke and Laurie Webber Artists’ Reception, 6 p.m. at Jackson Memorial Library in Tenants Harbor. On display through March 31.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17:
- Opening of Show by Thomaston Grammar School Students, 10 a.m. at Jonathan Frost Gallery, Main & Park, Rockland. Public welcome. “Thomaston LEAPS!: The Landscape and Ourselves” will be on display through March 18.
- Two Openings at River Arts in Damariscotta, 5-7 p.m. Receptions for Bristol artist Isabella Corwin’s solo show in the West Gallery and for its newest exhibit, “Faces and Figures,” with works by 60 artists. On display through Mar. 8.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Free Community Art Party at the Art Loft in Rockland, 1 p.m. Kim Nicoll will teach men, women and kids how to knit. She’ll bring needles and yarn. If you already knit, bring a current project. Hot cocoa and snacks served. Registration: 200-9795 or artloftrockland.org.
- Public Reception to Open Sam Cady Show in Rockland, 4-7 p.m. at Center for Maine Contemporary Art. “Parts of the Whole,” his first full-scale retrospective, hangs through May 21.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21:
- At Camden Library: Craftswomen of the Midcoast, 7 p.m. Enamel jewelry artist Suzanne Anderson kicks off the new monthly series.
- “DSLR Camera Modes” Class in Rockland, The Art Loft, Friday, Feb. 24, 6-8 p.m. Bring your camera. $35. FMI: artloftrockland, 200-7915.
- Coloring for All Ages at Jackson Learning Center & Historical Society, in the municipal complex, Friday, Feb. 24, 4-6 p.m. With helpful techniques & tips, art supplies, coloring pages, snacks. Bring your fave book, if you wish. Free.
- Red Tulips Paint Night at The Art Loft in Rockland, Friday, Feb. 24, from 6-8 p.m. Sean Boyd leads the night of socializing and painting with step-by-step instructions. BYOB. Drop-ins okay. $35. FMI: artloftrockland.org 200-7915.
- Reception for “Art at Bartlett Woods 2017,” Saturday, Feb. 25, 2-5 p.m., 20 Bartlett Dr., Rockland. Exhibit of works by Alison Hill and Björn Lundquist; open for public viewing daily during business hours through May.
- “Explore Your Inner Artist” Class, Tuesdays, Feb.28-March 14, 5-7 p.m., Lincolnville Central School. Experiment with pastels, watercolors, collage and more. $50. Registration: 921-3950 or journeytohealth.coursestorm.com.
- Week-Long “Triggering New Poems” Workshop, March 13-17, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland. Poet Kathleen Ellis helps participants at all levels expand their range of styles and explore ways to create and stretch tension. Limited to 12. FMI: farnsworthmuseum.org, 596-6457.
- Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockland. “David Driskell: Renewal and Form,” through May 11. “Piper Cub,” through May 14.
- Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland. “Art of Disaster,” through April 23.
- Maine State Museum, Augusta. “Beyond Boundaries: The World of the Capote,” through Sept. 30.
- Augusta State House, “Maine: A Continuum of Place,” through March 3.