Food Calendar Listing
For the Week beginning February 16
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16:
- Free “Cooking for Health” Classes, designed for all, especially low-income families and people with diabetes or heart disease. Thursdays, Feb. 16 & 23, 1-3 p.m. at Liberty Community Hall and also at the St. George Town Office and Wednesday, Feb. 22, 5-7 p.m. at the Varney Community Building in Brooks. FMI: 921-3950 or journeytohealth.coursestorm.com.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17:
- CommuniTEA at Thomaston Public Library, 3-4:30 p.m. Hot tea, savories and sweets. Bring a donation of personal care items such as soap or shampoo.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction at Elks Lodge in Rockland, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Mid Coast Ice Cats hold it to raise funds for high school kids whose schools don’t offer hockey. A signed Bobby Orr jersey, golf for four and other items are among the offerings. $8 adults/$5 under 10. FMI: 633-2194 or email@example.com.
- All-You-Can-Eat Bean Supper in Thomaston, at American Legion Post 37. Plus hot dogs, American chop suey, salad. $8 adults/$4 under 12. FMI: 691-7982.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19:
- Public Breakfast Buffet in Bath, 7:30-9:30 a.m. at Knights of Columbus Hall, 807 Middle Street. $7 adults/$3 under 12/free under 3.
- 13th Annual Moosehead Region Chocolate Festival, at Greenville School, 1-4 p.m. Over 40 varieties of chocolate, Chinese auction and raffle. $10 at door. FMI: mooseheadlake.org or 695-2702.
- 6th Annual Chili and Chowder Cook-Off in Rockland, at Trackside Restaurant, 2-5 p.m. Amateurs and pros can enter for $20 per dish: 831-9323 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Rockland Firefighters Local 1584 donates proceeds to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20:
- Chestnut Street Baptist Church Community Breakfasts, in Camden, from 6:30-9 a.m. All welcome.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21:
- Talk on Maine FoodCorps, noon, Merryspring Nature Center, Camden. Michelle Erhard describes the program that connects children to healthy food. $5/free for MNC members.
- Simply Supper at Bremen Union Church, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Chili, chowders, salad, desserts in the second of four free suppers. Monthly Hymn Sing follows. Bremen residents who need meal delivery should call 932-1283.
- Fundraiser for Maine Parkinson Society at Flatbread Co. in Rockport, where a portion of every pizza sold from 5-9 p.m. will go to MPS.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22:
- Soup’s On! at First Congregational Church of Camden, 55 Elm Street, noon Wednesdays through March 29. Free. Donations defray costs. FMI: 236-4821.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23:
- Soup Cafe in Lincolnville, at the Community Building in the town center. Lunch is served noon-1 p.m. Thursdays.
- Fundraiser for Friends of Sears Island at Nautilus Seafood & Grill, in Belfast. Ten percent of tabs from 4-9 p.m. will be donated. You must tell your server you are there for Sears Island.
- “Portugal – An Authentic Meal and Upcoming Tour with João Bentes,” Penobscot Language School, Rockland, Dinner 6 p.m. Discussion of a school tour of Portugal at 7 p.m. Discussion open to all regardless of attendance at the meal. Dinner is $35; reservations are required: penobscot.us or 594-1084.
- Book Talk in Belfast: “The Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook,” 7 p.m. at the Common House of Eco-Village off of Edgecomb Road. Public welcome.
- Pasta Supper at Meenahga Grange, in Waldoboro, Saturday, Feb. 25, 5-7 p.m. Waldoboro Democratic Town Committee sponsors the nonpartisan dinner of pasta, meatballs, salad, Borealis bread & butter, assorted desserts. $10 adults/$5 youth/$25 family of four/free under 5. Benefits the food pantry. FMI: 832-7870 or 832-7764.
- Food Classes at East Forty Farm & Dairy in Waldoboro, 2361 Friendship Road, Sundays from 3-4:30 p.m. Feb. 26: Introduction to cheese, with tastings. $35. March 12: Seasonal salads and the farm’s secret House Dressing. $35. March 26: Cooking with cheese. $35. FMI: email@example.com or 230-4318.
- Class at Nina June: “Mediterranean Greens, Grains & Beans,” Tuesday, Feb. 28, from 4:30-7:30 p.m. Chef Sara Jenkins and her mom, food writer Nancy Harmon Jenkins, teach vegetarian dishes including falafel. $150. Sign-up: 236-8880.
- “Local Food, Local Hunger” Forum at Chewonki in Wiscasset, Saturday, March 4, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The theme is securing healthy food for all while improving Maine’s food system. $15 if you register by Feb. 20, then $25. Lunch included. FMI: morrisfarm.org.