Kids & Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning April 20
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- Belfast Garden Club Scholarships, for Waldo County high school seniors who plan to major in an earth-friendly field. Two scholarships of $1,000. Apply by April 30: belfastgardenclub.org.
- Scholarships for Longfellow Young Writers’ Workshop, July 16-22, UMaine Farmington. Maine high school students are invited to apply by May 1. FMI: www2.umf.maine.edu/creativewriting/longfellow.
- 40th Maine Student Film and Video Festival, accepting submissions from kids in K-12. Submit by June 1: msfvf.com.
- Liberty Graphics Art Scholarship, for Maine high school seniors. Get rules & entry forms from your art teacher or at lgtees.com.
- 2-Week Sailing and Field Work Excursion for Maine High-Schoolers, ages 15-19, held by Baxter Academy for Technology and Science in Portland and Ocean Passages. Departs Portland Harbor on July 22. FMI: ocean-passages.org.
- Volunteers Needed for Marine Ocean School in Searsport, a residential public magnet high school set to open in 2018. FMI: maineoceanschool.org.
THURSDAY, APRIL 20:
- Travelling Musicians at Rockland’s Strand Theatre, 6 p.m. The musical stage show for all ages is based on the “Town Musicians of Bremen” fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. Tickets are $10 adults/$5 for kids 12 and under.
FRIDAY, APRIL 21:
- Workshop on Saving Money at Coastal Children’s Museum, Rockland, 11 a.m. Machias Savings Bank will lead an activity to teach kids how to save for something they want. Then kids will draw what they’re saving for.
- Arts in Action Project at Rockland Community Building, 12:30-4:30 p.m. Free fun for kids 8+, who must be with a guardian. Drop-ins okay. FMI: 691-2156, RASAartsinaction@gmail.com.
- Teen Talk with Graphic Novel Team at Rockland Public Library, 2 p.m. Author Alex Irvine and illustrator Ben Bishop share their new “Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11’s Third Man.” All are welcome.
- “Sing,” 6:30 p.m., Stockton Springs Community Library. Kids are invited to wear their jammies to the free screening of the animated flick.
SATURDAY, APRIL 22:
- Free Bike Fix-It Clinic at Belfast YMCA, 9 a.m.-noon. Free Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition Earth Days Waldo County event, sponsored by Belfast Community Works.
- Prom Dress Giveaway in Belfast, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Renys Plaza. The Cinderella Project of Maine gives gowns to all Maine high schoolers who need one with the proviso that they pay the favor forward by doing something nice for someone else in their community. FMI: cinderellaprojectofmaine.org.
- Stories to Screen Series: “National Velvet,” 10 a.m. at Lincoln Theater, Damariscotta. Free copies of the book will be available at the theater. The screening is also free in this family series.
- Successful Breast Feeding Class in Belfast, 10 a.m.-noon in Waldo County General Hospital’s Classroom. Register at journeytohealth.coursestorm.com or by calling 338-9348.
- “Finding Dory,” 1 p.m., Kids’ Movie at Vose Library, Union. Donations taken.
MONDAY, APRIL 24:
- “Pulling the Plug: It’s Easier Than You Think!” in Rockport, 7 p.m. Free public presentation at Ashwood Waldorf School by teacher Sarah Baldwin that invites families to “rediscover the joys of life beyond the screen.”
TUESDAY, APRIL 25:
- Little Play: Stripes and Spots by Dahlov Ipcar, 10:30-11 a.m. in Sam L. Cohen Children’s Library in the main branch of Portland Public Library. Live interactive theater for kids ages 3-5. FMI: portlandlibrary.com.
- Free Children’s Drawing Class, from 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays at Rockland Library. Catinka Knoth leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 and up (under 11 with an adult). Materials provided. This week: Baby animals, birds’ nests and fledglings, and spring flowers.
THURSDAY, APRIL 27:
- Young Adult Book & Movie Group at Belfast Free Library, 3-6 p.m. Kids ages 11-17 are invited to borrow and read “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” and then watch the Tim Burton film. Book discussion after the screening.
- “Engage or Enrage: Conflict Resolution Strategies in the Classroom,” from 3:30-5:30 p.m. at South School (former Rockland District Middle School) in Rockland. Free Mental Health Series event sponsored by counselors of RSU 13. Registration: rsu13.org.
- Free Fat Bike Camp at Wiscasset Recreation Center, Thursday & Friday, April 27 & 28, 3:30-5:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 29, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Bikes & helmets provided. Registration required: midcoastconservancy.org or 389-5150.
- You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, at Gracie Black Box Theatre at Husson University in Bangor. Curtain on Friday, April 28 at 7 p.m.; on Saturday, April 29, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; on Sunday, April 30, at 2 p.m. FMI: gracietheatre.com.
- Annual Spring Children’s Fair at Coastal Children’s Museum, Rockland, Saturday, April 29, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Free admission and crafts, face painting, balloons, book giveaway, touch-a-truck event, more. Kids invited to come dressed as their fave prince or princess. Rockland Kiwanis Club co-hosts.
- Children’s House Montessori School Open House, Saturday, April 29, 10 a.m.-noon. The school for kids 18 months to 12 years invites families to meet teachers, see the classrooms and learn about the school’s hands-on programs. Learn about summer camps at the school, too. FMI: camdenmontessori.org, 236-2911.
- Free Fat Bike Camp in Whitefield, Thursday & Friday, May 4 & 5, from 2:30-5 p.m. and Saturday, May 6, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Midcoast Conservancy offers it on the ground of Whitefield Elementary School to kids who know how to ride but want to expand their skills. Bring water, snack, sunscreen and an extra warm layer. Registration required: 389-5150.
- “Kids Can Grow” Program Starts May 10, registration open until May 8 to 12 families with kids 7-12. Get materials to build a raised bed at home, and take six hands-on monthly classes at Erickson Fields Preserve in Rockport. $50 includes materials. Financial assistance available. FMI: email@example.com, 236-2739.
- Appleton Library: StoryTime Saturdays, 10:30 a.m., kids of all ages.
- Belfast Free Library: Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., babies to age 2 & siblings. Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., ages 2-4 & siblings.
- Camden Library: 10 a.m. Story Hours, Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to age 2 & siblings. Thursdays: ages 4-5. Fridays: ages 2-3. Saturdays: preschool to early elementary.
- Carver Library, Searsport: Preschool Story Hour, Fridays, 10:30 a.m.
- Gibbs Library, Washington: Story Hour, Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-ish, depending on when kids drop in. FMI: 845-2663.
- Liberty Library: Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Ages 3-5. Younger & older kids welcome if not disruptive.
- Lincolnville Community Library: Family Music Series led by Jessica Day of Midcoast Music Together for families with kids from birth to age 5 at 11 a.m. first Fridays monthly through June.
- Palermo Library: Toddler Time, Mondays, 10 a.m.-noon. Lego Club, Wednesdays, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Rockland Public Library: Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
- Rockport Library: Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds.
- Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: Toddler Time, Tuesdays. Book Babies, Wednesdays. Ready to Read, Thursdays. All start at 10 a.m.
- Stockton Springs Community Library: Lego Club, third Thursdays through April 20, 4-5 p.m, Focus age group is 4-10, but all ages are welcome.
- Thomaston Library: Toddler Time, Wednesdays, 11 a.m. Family Story Hour, Thursdays, 11 a.m. Stories, crafts, snacks. Early Bird Reading & Fun Time, Saturdays, 9-10 a.m.
- Vose Library, Union: Story Time, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Different activities for babies & toddlers and older kids.
- Waldoboro Library: Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. For preschoolers.
- Warren Library: Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Children’s Clothing Exchange, first Saturdays monthly, 9-11 a.m., Second Congregational Church in Warren. Free, quality used clothing, newborn to size 14. Swaps encouraged. Donations welcome.
- Giggles and Doodles Kids’ Art Class, 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at The Art Loft, 385 Main St., Rockland. Parents welcome to join. Registration: artloftrockland.org.