Kids & Parents Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning February 16
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- Summer Youth Musical Theater Camp in Belfast, taking registrations from kids in elementary through high school: midcoastactors.org.
- The Fresh Air Fund, seeks families in southern Maine to host kids 7-18 from low-income communities in New York City. FMI: freshair.org or 671-5049.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16:
- Free Boys Night Out Program at Rockport YMCA, 6 p.m. Lincolnville and Knox County boys in grades 3, 4 & 5 and dads, stepdads, grandfathers or other important men are invited to the program featuring discussion, activities and a light, healthy meal. Free; registration required: email@example.com or 236-8463.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17:
- Playtimes for Ages 2-6, Fridays, with Ashwood Waldorf School teachers Beth Lunt and Marianne Böckli. Puppet show and games. $5 donation suggested. At Ashwood Waldorf School in Rockport 10:30-11:30 a.m. Feb. 17. At Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland 10:30-11:30 a.m. Mar. 17. At Belfast Free Library at 10-11 a.m. Mar. 31. Future playtimes in April, May, June. FMI: ashwoodwaldorf.org.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Postponed: Youth Ice Fishing Day at Kaler’s Pond in Waldoboro, with no new date set yet. FMI: 380-2428 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Frost Fest in Bucksport, at Miles Lane skating rink from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Skating party, strolling magician, snow sculpture contest, mini golf on snow course ($5 to rent putter and ball/free under 5). Hot food on sale. FMI: bucksportbaychamber.com.
- Professor Paddy-Whack and His One-Man Junk Band, 11 a.m. at Maine State Museum in Augusta. First in the museum’s Free Family Saturdays. FMI: mainestatemuseum.org or 287-2301.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20:
- WINTER SCHOOL VACATION WEEK, Monday-Friday, Feb. 20-24:
- Clay Camp in Belfast, Waterfall Arts, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon. Ages 7-12. FMI: waterfallarts.org, 338-2222.
- Mini-Musicals & More at The Riley School in Rockport, Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Ages 6-14. Kids can choose two focus workshops. FMI: rileyschool.org, 596-6405.
- Vacation Camp for Grades K-4 at Penobscot Bay YMCA, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m. $135/$115 members. Basketball and Soccer Camp for Grades 3-5, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. $125/$100. FMI: penbayymca.org.
- Owls Head Transportation Museum Workshops, Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m. and again at 1 p.m. Ages 6-14. Free; $5 donation suggested. Kids must be with an adult, for whom admission is $14. FMI: 594-4418 or owlshead.org.
- ArtLabs for All Ages at Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockland, Monday-Thursday, 2-4 p.m. each day. All are free. Come any day.
- Tinkering Class at Sweet Tree Arts in Hope Corner, Monday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Kids will fuse electrical circuits with kinetic sculptures. $50. Open Studio Hours Tuesday 10 a.m.-noon. All ages. FMI: sweettreearts.org or 763-2770.
- Morris Farm Camp in Wiscasset, Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. For grades K-6. Childcare from 3:30-4 p.m. for $5 a day. FMI: morrisfarm.org.
- Thomaston Public Library, Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-noon. Paper animals, exotic drums, binary code jewelry, Legos.
- Wildlife in Winter at Great Salt Bay Farm in Damariscotta, Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Ages 5-11. $180 for non-members/$160 Mussel/Family level or above. FMI: damariscottariver.org.
- Art Camp at Farnsworth Museum’s Gamble Education Center in Rockland, Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-noon. Ages 6-8. $95 non-members/$77 FAM members. FMI: farnsworthmuseum.org.
- Babysitter Training at LincolnHealth Education Center in Damariscotta, Thursday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 11-14. $44 if you register by Feb. 16 (use code EARLYBIRD), then $49. FMI: clc.maineadulted.org or 563-2811.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21:
- Free Children’s Drawing Class, from 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays at Rockland Library. Catinka Knoth leads Let’s Draw Together! for kids 6 and up (under 11 with an adult). Materials provided. This week’s theme: “Presidents.”
- Discover Girl Scout Events, for potential members in K-3 and volunteers. At Rockland Congregational Church at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 21. At Varney Building in Brooks at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26. FMI: girlscoutsofmaine.org or 888-922-4763.
- Workshop for Young Duck Stamp Designers, Friday, Feb. 24, noon-2 p.m. at Maine Coastal Islands NWR Visitor Center in Rockland. Kids in grades K-12 can learn about this year’s Federal Junior Duck Stamp Design Contest and design a stamp. Free. Sign-up: 594-0600, x5 or email@example.com.
- Workshop for Future Authors and Illustrators at Rockland Library, on Friday, Feb. 24, at 2 p.m. Children’s author/illustrator Hazel Mitchell offers the workshop for children of all ages.
- Stories to Screen Series in Damariscotta, borrow the book “Black Beauty” from Skidompha Library, then see the film version at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at Lincoln Theater. You don’t have to have read the book to attend the free screening.
- After-School Arts in Action Program for RSU 13 Kids in Grades 6-8, begins the week of Feb. 26. Led by Alexis Iammarino. FMI: rsu13.maineadulted.org or 691-2156.
- “Wild Encounters” & Art Programs for Homeschoolers, Monday, Feb. 27, at DRA’s Great Salt Bay Farm, Damariscotta. Kids 6-12 can participate in one or both sessions, which are held fourth Mondays monthly. Wild Encounters runs 10 a.m.-noon and includes outdoor observations of nature. $5 per child. Art classes led by Brady Nickerson run 1-3 p.m. $12 per child. Scholarships are available. FMI: damariscottariver.org.
- Umpire Training for Youth Baseball, Wednesdays, March 1-29. Training for youth softball will be scheduled in March, depending on how many people sign up. FMI: midcoastumpires.com.
- 2nd Annual Summer Camp Fair at Bangor Mall, Saturday, March 4, from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Free admission. To host a table: mainerobotics.org.
- “Around the World Cooking for Kids” at Penobscot School in Rockland, for ages 7-13. Classes run 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays. March 4: Portugal. March 11: Italy. Students will cook and learn about other cultures and languages. $40. FMI: 594-1084 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONGOING FOR PARENTS:
- Baby Group & Birth Circle, 10 a.m.-noon first and third Mondays, Morningstar Midwifery, 111 High Street, Belfast. Moms (and kids) welcome at free group. Birth Circles held on Feb. 6, May 1 and Aug. 7.
- Women’s Night & Birth Circle, 6 p.m. second Wednesdays monthly, Morningstar Midwifery in Belfast. Birth Circles in Feb., May & Aug. Babes in arms welcome.
ONGOING FOR KIDS:
- Appleton Library: StoryTime Saturdays, 10:30 a.m., kids of all ages.
- Belfast Free Library: Story Time Tuesdays, 10-10:30 a.m., babies to age 2 & siblings. Story Time Fridays, 10-11 a.m., ages 2-4 & siblings.
- Camden Library: 10 a.m. Story Hours, Mondays: preschoolers. Wednesdays: babies to 2-year-olds & siblings. Thursdays: ages 4-5. Fridays: ages 2-3. Saturdays: kids, preschool to early elementary.
- Carver Library, Searsport: Preschool Story Hour, Fridays, 10:30 a.m.
- Gibbs Library, Washington: Story Hour, Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-ish, depending on when kids drop in. FMI: 845-2663.
- Liberty Library: Story Time, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. Ages 3-5. Younger & older kids welcome if not disruptive.
- Lincolnville Community Library: Family Music Series led by Jessica Day of Midcoast Music Together for families with kids from birth to age 5 at 11 a.m. first Fridays monthly through June.
- Palermo Library: Toddler Time, Mondays, 10 a.m.-noon. Lego Club, Wednesdays, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Rockland Public Library: Baby Storytime, Fridays, 10 a.m.
- Rockport Library: Preschool Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. Babies to 5-year-olds.
- Skidompha Library, Damariscotta: Toddler Time, Tuesdays. Book Babies, Wednesdays. Ready to Read, Thursdays. All start at 10 a.m.
- Stockton Springs Community Library: Story Hour, first Saturdays, 10-11 a.m., to Feb. 4. All ages. Lego Club, third Thursdays through April 20, 4-5 p.m, Focus age group is 4-10, but kids of all ages are welcome.
- Thomaston Library: Toddler Time,Wednesdays, 11 a.m. Family Story Hour, Thursdays, 11 a.m. Stories, crafts, snacks. Early Bird Reading & Fun Time, Saturdays, 9-10 a.m.
- Vose Library, Union: Story Time, Fridays, 10:30 a.m. Different activities for babies & toddlers and older kids.
- Waldoboro Library: Storytime, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. For preschoolers.
- Warren Library: Craft Club Story Time, Mondays, 6-7 p.m. Lego Club, second and fourth Thursdays, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Giggles and Doodles Kids’ Art Class, 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at The Art Loft, 385 Main St., Rockland. Parents welcome to join. Registration: artloftrockland.org.