Miscellaneous Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning February 16
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- Reservations Open for Maine State Park Campgrounds, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays at 800-332-1501 and 24/7 at campwithme.com.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16:
- Alzheimer’s Disease Support Group, 3-4 p.m. third Thursdays monthly at Knox Center, 6 White St, Rockland. For those whose loved ones live with Alzheimer’s or related dementias. FMI: 921-6237.
- “Regenerative Community through Nature Connection” Workshop, 6:30-8 p.m., Belfast Free Library. Make natural milkweed cordage and learn about the mentorship model Northwood Natural Learning weaves through its programs meant to deepen people’s relationships with the community and the wild.
- Info Session on Maine’s Tree Growth Tax Law, Rockland City Hall, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Free. No need to register.
- Snowshoe Hikes on the Community Wellness Trail in Rockport, noon-1 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 16 & 23. Start at cafeteria trailhead at Pen Bay Med Center. Call 921-3950 to borrow snowshoes. Free and family-friendly. No need to register.
- 6-Week Foxtrot Class, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays starting Feb. 16, Lincolnville Community Building, Sam and Marjorie Bartlett give lessons. There will be time to practice afterward. $40 solo/$70 couples. Registration: 491-0444.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17:
- Free Workshop on Personal Money Management in Boothbay Harbor, 9:30 a.m.-noon Fridays, Feb. 17, Mar. 17, & Apr. 21, on St. Andrews campus. Learn how to stretch a dollar, reduce debt and save for retirement and other goals. For all ages and incomes. Sign-up: email@example.com, 386-1664.
- Beach Party Theme at Night of Joy, 6:30-8 p.m., Water of Life Lutheran Church, 618 Route 1, Newcastle.
- Fridays in February at Camden Public Library, Grown-Up Story Hour at 1:30 p.m. Bring lunch; hear stories read by staffers. Tabletop Gaming for All Ages at 3 p.m. Use the library’s or bring one.
- Free Stretch Around Classes in Belfast, 1-2 p.m. Fridays & Mondays (no class Feb. 20) at St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, 95 Court Street. For older adults and those with physical limitations. Chair yoga, Matter of Balance and Brain Gym exercises. Drop-ins welcome.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Winter Animal Tracking at DeWick Farm in Woolwich, 9:30 a.m. Learn how to interpret an animal’s prints, track, straddle and stride from Maine Master Naturalists. Registration: 442-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CPR Certification, The Pitch, Warren, 9 a.m.-noon. $40. Registration: 322-5042.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19:
- Wildlife Tracking Walk at St. Clair Preserve in Northport, 1-3:30 p.m. Biologist Bucky Owens leads the first hike in 2017 Coastal Mountains Nature Program series. Registration: 236-7091.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20:
- Empowered Aging Series: “Share the Care” at The Lincoln Home, Newcastle, 3-4 p.m. Get tools and tips on forming a beneficial care group for people who can’t afford home care or assisted living costs.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21:
- Intergenerational Book Club at Thomaston Library, 2:30 p.m. The book is “The Keepers of the House” by Shirley Ann Grau.
- Tech Tuesday at Vose Library in Union, 6-8 p.m. Open hours with experts.
- Trustees of Lincolnville Sewer District Meeting, 6 p.m. (third Tuesdays monthly), Lincolnville Town Office. Open to the public.
- Women’s Cancer Support Group, 6 p.m. third Tuesdays monthly at Picker Family Resource Center, 756 Commercial Street, Rockport. FMI: 921-3950 or PickerCenter@PenBayHealthcare.org.
- Program on Prostate Cancer and Sexual Intimacy, 6:30 p.m., Mid Coast Hospital, Brunswick. Partners invited. FMI: mcfpc.org or 855-552-7200, x800.
- Senior Center at Belfast Boathouse on Tuesdays in February, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Bring a brown bag lunch and play bridge, chess, cribbage, other games. Feb. 21: “Jeopardy.” Feb. 28: wear Mardi Gras beads and try a slice of King’s Cake. Free. Closed when school is cancelled. FMI: email@example.com.
- Solar Workshops for Homeowners, offered by ReVision Energy, at Rockland Library on Tuesday, Feb. 21, and at Lord Camden Inn in Camden on Thursday, Feb. 23. Both start at 6 p.m. and cover new technology and net-billing rules.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22:
- Talk on Demystifying Homeopathy, 6-7:30 p.m., Belfast Free Library. Hilary Budet on micro-dosing to treat chronic and acute conditions, including asthma and food/environmental sensitivity.
- Lincolnville Sewer District Meeting, 6 p.m., LIA Building, Beach Road (Route 173). Public meeting.
- Mid-Coast Chapter of Maine Genealogical Society to Meet, 6:30 p.m. at Rockport Public Library. Free; public welcome. FMI: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chair Yoga in Rockport, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 179 Old County Road, Wednesdays, Feb. 22-March 29, 1-2 p.m. Antonia Small of Oryx Worx Fitness leads the class for beginners. $37.50. FMI:journetytohealth.coursestorm.com.
- “Becoming an Outdoors Woman” Winter Skills Weekend, Friday-Sunday, Feb. 24-26, 4-H Camp & Learning Center in Bryant Pond. Hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation workshops for women 18+. FMI: mainebow.com, 665-2068.
- Solar Power Installation Celebration at Damariscotta Baptist Church, Saturday, Feb. 25, 10 a.m. ReVision Energy reps will be there with info on how nonprofits can benefit from power purchase agreements. Refreshments served. Public invited.
- Five Town CSD Adult & Community Ed Winter & Spring Classes, start Feb. 26. FMI: fivetowns.maineadulted.org.
- Rescheduled: “Beginning and Advanced Erosion Control Practices,” Monday, Feb. 27, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at Knox-Lincoln Cooperative Extension in Waldoboro. FMI: knox-lincoln.org.
- Rockland Public Library Cribbage Club, Monday, Feb. 27, 4 p.m. All ages and abilities welcome.
- Monday Meditation, Healing and Discussion Group, Feb. 27, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Thomaston Public Library. FMI: 701-8963.
- Community Book Discussion on Why People Vote for Conservatives, Monday, Feb. 27, 6 p.m., Belfast Free Library. Ridgley Fuller and Cloe Chunn lead the discussion of “Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right” by Arlie Russell Hochschild.
- Waltz II, Mondays, Feb. 27-March 20, 6-7 p.m., East Belfast Elementary School. Solo $25/couples $35. Sign-up required: journeytohealth.coursestorm.com.
- Afternoon Snowshoe Hike in Belfast City Park, Tuesday, Feb. 28, noon-1 p.m. Starts at the helipad. Call 921-3950 to borrow snowshoes. Free; family-friendly. No need to register.
- Septic System Installation Workshop for Contractors & Site Evaluators, Thursday, March 2, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at Union Town Office. Includes lunch. $65 by Feb. 24, then $75. FMI: 596-2024 or email@example.com.
- Belfast Regional Job Fair, Tuesday, March 7, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at UMaine Hutchinson Center in Belfast. Free for businesses and job seekers. Reserve tables by Feb. 28: firstname.lastname@example.org. Facebook has details for job seekers.
- Lung Health Support Group, last Tuesdays monthly, noon-1 p.m., Pen Bay Med Center’s Pulmonary Rehab Room, Rockport. FMI: 921-8880.
- H.O.P.E. (Healing of Persons Exceptional) Group, Mondays, 4:30-6 p.m., 16 School St., Rockland. Nonjudgmental emotional/spiritual support for people facing such challenges as cancer, chronic illness, depression, stress or anxiety. FMI: 975-5242.
- Total Victory Support Group, emotional/spiritual support group that meets weekly in private homes in Lincoln counties. No fees. FMI: 542-7397.
- The BookStop at Rockland Public Library, a hidden gem, on the lower level of the library, 80 Union St. Open 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
- Waldo County Beekeepers, first Thursdays, 6:30 p.m., Searsmont Community Center. FMI: 233-8257.
- Pop-Up Senior Center at Belfast Boathouse, Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Free. FMI: email@example.com.
- Foreign Language Conversation Tables at Belfast Co-op, Tuesdays. For new to fluent speakers. Spanish & Italian at 10 a.m. French at 11 a.m. German and Swedish at noon.
- Veterans’ Services in Rockland, fourth Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., URock. Get help with education benefits, home loans, acquiring military records and more. Appointments: 596-6906.
- “New Beginnings” Support Group, Mondays, 6:30 p.m., Aldersgate United Methodist Church, Route 17, Rockland. Free, nonreligious support for those starting anew after the end of a marriage or relationship, death of a loved one, loss of a job. Confidential registration: 593-6468.
- Pet Loss Support Group, first Saturdays, 10-11 a.m., P.A.W.S., 123 John St., Camden. FMI: 236-8702.
- Parkinson’s Support Group, second Wednesdays, 1:15-2:45 p.m., Home Health, 125 Northport Ave., Belfast. Free drop-in group. FMI: 930-2500, ext. 4795.
- Overeaters Anonymous in Belfast, Fridays, noon-1 p.m., First Baptist Church. Mondays, 6:30-7:30, Belfast Center. FMI: 382-6446.
- Appleton Library Adult Book Group, third Mondays, 7 p.m. FMI: AppletonLibraryME.org.
- Alzheimer’s Support Groups, 1st Tuesdays, 6-7 p.m., Anderson Inn’s Media Rm., Quarry Hill, Camden; third Tuesdays, 3-4 p.m., Knox Center, Rockland. FMI: 921-6237.
- Conversation Series on Dementia, third Thursdays, 4-5:30 p.m., The Lincoln Home, 22 River Road, Newcastle. All friends & families of people with dementia welcome. Learn new ways to cope. FMI: 563-3350.
- Dancing Xigong in Camden, 9 a.m. Tuesdays at St. Thomas’ Church, Thursdays at Congregational Church; 12 movements to music for balance, flexibility. Free. All welcome. FMI: 236-8732, BeedyParker@gwi.net.
- Jefferson Area Community Food Pantry, second and fourth Wednesdays, 4-5:30 p.m., St. Giles’ Episcopal Church, 72 Gardiner Road (Rte. 126), Jefferson. FMI: 530-3769.
- Celebrate Recovery, 6 p.m. Thursdays, First Baptist Church of Waldoboro. Free dinner & 12-step, Christ-centered meeting. Free child care. FMI: 837-9703, CelebrateRecovery@fbcwaldoboro.org.
- Boothbay Region Land Trust Nature Hikes, Tuesdays at 10 a.m. at a different preserve each time for a hike of a mile or two. FMI: bbrlt.org, 633-4818.
- “Social Bridge, Anyone?” Tuesdays 1-4 p.m., Owls Head Community Bldg. FMI: 593-2970.
- MS Coffee & Conversation Group, second Thursdays, 5:30-7 p.m., Hatchet Mountain Publick House, Hope. Families & friends welcome. FMI: 975-0156, Bettheh@TheNewEnglandReCo.com.
- Game Day at Camden Public Library, 3-5 p.m. Fridays for tweens to adults. Play Magic the Gathering or board games. Feel free to bring snacks to share. FMI: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meditation & Mindfulness Practice, 9-10:30 a.m. Sundays (except August) at The Start Center in Camden, in the Plum Village Zen tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. Free. Beginners welcome.
- Herbalists’ Circle, fourth Fridays from 7-9 p.m. at Herbal Medicine Wellness Clinic, 96A High Street, Belfast. For herbalists of all levels. FMI: 205-2515.
- Leer y Charlar Spanish-Language Discussion Group, second & fourth Tuesdays at 1 p.m. in Camden Library. All proficient in Spanish are welcome.
- Belfast Free Sketchers, first and third Tuesdays, 2-4 p.m., Belfast Free Library. Free group led by Rita Swidrowski. All abilities welcome. BYO materials.
- Men’s Cancer Support Group, 2nd & 4th Mondays, 4:30 p.m., Cancer Care Center, Pen Bay Medical Center, Rockport. FMI: 596-8977.
- Food Addicts Anonymous, Saturdays, 8:30-10 a.m., Knox Center, 6 White St., Rockland. FMI: 354-6749.
- Rockport Library Writers Group, third Wednesdays, 6-7:30 p.m. All writers welcome, published or aspiring.
- Belfast Chess Club, Mondays, 5-8 p.m., Bell the Cat. All ages.
- Refuge Recovery, Sundays, 6-7:30 p.m., The Dancing Elephant, 16 School St., Rockland. Meditation, readings, discussion. Donations taken. FMI: email@example.com, 594-1694.
- Open Meditation in Rockland, Thursdays, noon-1 p.m., and Sundays, 10:30-11:30, The Dancing Elephant, 6 School St. Sitting & walking meditation with timekeeper. All traditions welcome. $5-$10 sug. donation. FMI: firstname.lastname@example.org, 594-1694.
- Rockland Elks Lodge Bingo, Wednesdays, doors open 4:30 p.m.; drawings 6:20 p.m.; bingo 6:30 p.m.
- Taijiquan Sessions, Wednesdays, 7 p.m., Thomaston Public Library. FMI: 354-2453.
- Midcoast Stroke Support Group, first Wednesdays, 10 a.m., Camden Library.
- Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic, 1st Tuesdays. Free transport from Humane Society of Knox County, Thomaston. Appointments: 865-0772 or Facebook. FMI: CommunitySpayNeuterClinic.com.
- People Helping People, support network for seniors and people with disabilities on Boothbay peninsula, second and fourth Fridays, 2 p.m., Community Center, 175 Townsend Ave., Boothbay Harbor. FMI: 633-4368.
- Open Meditation, Mondays, 6-7 p.m., Midcoast Yoga Shala, 49 Main St., Damariscotta. Free; donations taken.
- Increase Your Peace of Mind, 1-2 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 175 Town-send Ave., Boothbay Harbor. Three Principles Course designed for anyone who sometimes feels stressed, depressed or angry and wishes to feel more joyful, loving, calm & content. FMI: 633-4368.
- Meetingbrook Meditation, Sundays, 6 p.m., Meetingbrook Hermitage, Camden. With light supper. FMI: 236-4346.
- Computer Boot Camp, Tuesday mornings, Rockland CareerCenter, 91 Camden St. By appointment: 596-2600.
- Coffee & Chat at ElderCare Network of Lincoln County Homes, first Fridays, 9:30-11 a.m. All welcome at Hodgdon Green in Damariscotta, Round Pond Green, Boothbay Green, Wiscasset Green, Edgecomb Green, Jefferson Green, Waldoboro Green.
- Genealogy Club, first Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Stockton Springs Library.
- “Owl & Turtle Sessions” Writers’ Group, second & fourth Tuesdays, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Owl & Turtle Bookshop in Camden. Writing exercises, discussion of members’ works. All welcome.
- Animal Response Team, first Mondays, 5 p.m., Knox County Emergency Management Agency, 301 Park St., Rockland.
- Fiber Arts Group, first & third Tuesdays, 3:30-5 p.m., Rockport Library. FMI: 236-3642 or rockport.lib.me.us.
- Free Car Seat Checks, third Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., PBMC Child Passenger Safety Program at Fuller Auto Mall, Camden St., Rockland. FMI: 921-8711.
- Veterans’ Creative Writing, Tuesdays, 8 p.m., Camden Library, 55 Main St. All veterans & their families can tell their stories in memoir, poetry, fiction. Free and confidential.
- Memory Café in Stockton Springs, third Mondays, 10-11:30 a.m., The Good Kettle, 247 Route 1. For caregivers & those with mild cognitive impairment or early Alzheimer’s. FMI: 620-1656.
- Penobscot Pet Pantry, first Thursdays, 1-3 p.m., P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center, 123 John St., Camden. FMI: 763-4291, email@example.com.
- Meditation in Plum Village Tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, 9-10:30 a.m. Sundays (except in August), The Start Center, 47 Start Road, Camden. Free. Beginners welcome. FMI: 978-979-1365.
- Saturday Knitting Classes, 2-4 p.m., Over the Rainbow Yarn, 18 School St., Rockland. FMI: 594-6060.
- Drug Drop-Off, Knox County Sheriff’s Office, 301 Park St. Rockland. Use green box in lobby any day. FMI: 594-0429, ext. 702.
- Wellness Checks, Mondays and Thursdays, 1-3 p.m., Nurse Judith Lydon’s office at Anderson Inn, Quarry Hill. FMI: 921-6272.
- Midcoast Bridge Club, Mondays & Wednesdays, 10 a.m., American Legion, Rockland. Tuesdays, 6 p.m., St. John Baptist Episcopal Church, Thomaston. Newcomers welcome; partners guaranteed. FMI: 594-8965 or 236-8792.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, Thursdays, 7-9 p.m., First Unitarian Church, Rockland. FMI: 691-3599.
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Belfast, first Thursdays, noon-1 p.m., Home Health, 125 Northport Avenue (across from WC General Hospital). FMI: 930-2500, ext. 4795.
- Cancer Education & Support Group, second Wednesdays, 4:45-6:15 p.m., Belfast Library. FMI: 930-2500, ext. 4795.
- Knitting & Spinning Circle, Thursdays, 5-7 p.m., WORKS Bookstore & Gallery, 21 E. Main St., Searsport. Free.
- Midcoast Chess Club, Thursdays, 5-9 p.m., Burger King, Rockland. FMI: 975-2433 or FCollemer@gmail.com.
- Blake Veterinary Hospital Rabies Clinics, Saturdays, 9 a.m.-noon, Route 1, Northport. Bring proof of prior rabies vaccination. $10. FMI: 789-5700.
- NAMI Support Group, third Thursdays, 6-8 p.m., 6 Hodgdon St., Damariscotta. FMI: 882-7426.
- Meditation Group, Saturdays, 7-8 a.m., Belfast Dance Studio, 109 High St.
- Knox County Coin Club, third Thursdays, 7 p.m., American Legion Post 37, Thomaston. FMI: 701-8411.
- Fellowship of the Spirit Step Study Group, Saturdays, 7-8 a.m., St. Margaret’s Church, 95 Court St., Belfast. FMI: 505-5266.
- King’s Closet Free Clothing, Saturdays, 9-11 a.m., Grace Bible Fellowship, Sherers Lane, Rockland. FMI: 596-7117.
- Clothes Closet Day, first Saturdays, Warren Congregational Church. Free clothes for those in need. FMI: 273-2338.
- Tapping Group, first Sunday, 3-4:30 p.m., High Mountain Hall, Camden. Suggested donation $8-$25. FMI: 975-5325.
- Tuesday Book Club, Camden Library, second Tuesdays, 1 p.m. FMI: 470-7473.
- Lyme Disease Support Group in Wiscasset, last Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m., Community Center. FMI: 446-6447.
- Midcoast Lyme Disease Support Group, 2nd Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m., Knox Center, 6 White Street, Rockland. FMI: 446-6447.
- Journey to Health Walking Club, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays in Waldo County and Thursdays in Knox County. Led by wellness staff. Kids welcome. FMI: JourneyToHealth.CourseStorm.com.
- Wednesday Walkers, guided morning hikes at 14 land trusts from Camden to Brunswick through November. Subscribe for weekly details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Country Line Dancing, Fridays, 6-7 p.m., Swing & Sway Dancing, 143 Maverick St., Rockland. No partner or experience needed. Registration: 594-0940.
- Wellness Wednesdays: Acupuncture, Reiki, Bowen Therapy & Reflexology, on rotating basis, 4:15-5:30 p.m., Bok Medical Bldg., 22 White St. (behind Rockland Library). All welcome. Free; donations accepted. FMI: 921-6993.
- Calendar Sync Meeting, last Wednesdays, 9 a.m., Bell the Cat, Belfast. Gathering of nonprofits, cultural organizations and community event planners. FMI: BelfastCreativeCoalition.org.
- Boothbay Region Land Trust Nature Hikes, Tuesdays, 10 a.m., hike of a mile or so, at a different preserve each time. The week’s hike is posted at bbrlt.org. FMI: 633-4818.
- Pen Bay Y Heartwatch Program, 116 Union St., Rockport. Rehab for post-cardiac-event patients. FMI: 236-3375.
- Family Caregiver Support Group in Camden, fourth Thursdays, 1-2:30 p.m., Spectrum Generations, 87 Elm Street. Drop-ins okay. FMI: 800-464-8703.
- SAGE (Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders) Drop-In Meetings, first & third Wednesdays, 1-3 p.m., Spectrum Generations Coastal Community Center, 521 Main Street, Damariscotta. FMI: SageMaine.org, 809-7015.
- Tabletop Game at Camden Library, Fridays, 3 p.m. Ages 10-100. Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Scrabble, more. FMI: 233-8257.
- Women’s Cancer Support Group, third Tuesdays, 6 p.m., Picker Family Resource Center, 756 Commercial St., Rockport. FMI: PickerCenter@PenBayHealthcare.org, 921-3950.