Music Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning March 23
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
THURSDAY, MARCH 23:
- 9th Annual Jazz for Meals Concert at Strom Auditorium, Rockport, 7 p.m. The MCH Meals on Wheels fundraiser stars the jazz bands of Belfast Area and Camden Hills Regional high schools and Camden-Rockport Middle School, as well as the Monday Night Jazz Orchestra. Donation taken at door. FMI: mchinc.org.
- Novel Jazz Returns to Skidompha Library, Damariscotta, 7-9:30 p.m. They head into their 13th season of hot jazz. $15 adults/$13 age 65 and up/$7 ages 12-18/free under 12. FMI: mainejazz.net.
- “Bees in Your Bonnet” Concert Series by DaPonte Quartet, and guest violist Katherine Murdock, featuring the “three Bs” of classical music: Bach, Brahms, Beethoven. March 23: Portland at 7:30 p.m. March 24: Damariscotta at 7:30 p.m. March 25: Boothbay Harbor at 4 p.m. March 26: Brunswick at 3 p.m. Venues and tickets: daponte.org.
FRIDAY, MARCH 24:
- By the Bay Jazz Trio at Rock City Cafe in Rockland, 7-9 p.m. Works from the Golden Age of American Song, as well as Latin rhythm standards.
SATURDAY, MARCH 25:
- Blues Ukulele Workshop at Belfast Boathouse, 6 p.m. Continuing beginners and intermediates can take Part One from 6-7 p.m. & Part Two from 7:15-8:15 p.m. $15 per class/$25 for both. Registration: 322-2685, email@example.com.
- Tamara Hansson at Rock City Cafe in Rockland, 7-9 p.m. Songs of “love, heartbreak and the human condition” from the Aussie transplant.
- The Lonely Heartstring Band Plays the Opera House in Boothbay Harbor, 7:30 p.m. The award-winning bluegrass quintet combines instrumental virtuosity and three-part harmony. $15 advance tix: 633-5159 or boothbayoperahouse.com. $20 show day.
SUNDAY, MARCH 26:
- Open Mic at Marsh River Coop in Brooks, 4-6 p.m. Bring poems, stories, original music, comedy, puppetry or just step onto the soapbox. FMI: 722-3654.
MONDAY, MARCH 27:
- Memphis Lightning Album Debut Party in Rockland, 7-10 p.m., Time Out Pub. The Maine band celebrates the release of “Trouble” on the Sweet Tone Records label. $10 admission. T-shirts and albums on sale.
- The Districts at Port City Music Hall, Portland, 8 p.m. 18+ show. FMI: portcitymusichall.com.
TUESDAY, MARCH 28:
- Waxahatchee & Kevin Morby at Port City Music Hall, Portland, 8 p.m. 18+ show. FMI: portcitymusichall.com.
THURSDAY, MARCH 30:
- Lez Zeppelin at Port City Music Hall, Portland, 8 p.m. 18+ show. FMI: portcitymusichall.com.
- Quantum at Rock City Cafe in Rockland, Friday, March 31, 7 p.m. Original ambient electronic music.
- Le Vent du Nord at Rockland’s Strand Theatre, Friday, March 31, at 7:30 p.m. The Québecois band performs traditional folk and originals. $24 advance tix: rocklandstrand.com. $26 show day.
- Coming to Port City Music Hall, in Portland: Unearth Friday, March 31. Maine Youth Rock Orchestra: Armies, Wild Adriatic Saturday, April 1. Infected Mushroom (DJ set) Thursday, April 13. FMI: portcitymusichall.com.
- Spring Concert at Camden Library, Sunday, April 2, 2 p.m. The Quasimodal Chorus, The January Men and Then Some, and The Mill Street Irregulars put on a show. $10 donation at the door.
- The Doo Wop Project at Camden Opera House, Sunday, April 2, at 3 p.m. The musical revue features five stars of Broadway. Fireside Restaurant of Camden will sell pizza and craft libations ahead of the show and at intermission. $26-$29 tix: camdenoperahouse.com, 536-5850, door.
- 8-Week “Easy Bluegrass Jamming” Class in Newcastle, Mondays, starting April 3, 10 a.m.-noon at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church. Resa Randolph leads the Coastal Senior College class. $45. FMI: coastalseniorcollege.org, 596-6906.
- “Western Song” Musical Saga with Sara Grey & Kieron Means, Thursday, April 6, at 7 p.m. in Camden Public Library’s Coffeehouse. Hear music that developed as immigrants moved west in the 1800s and early 1900s, illustrated with slides. $10 at the door.
- Alliage Quintet at Opera House in Boothbay Harbor, Thursday, April 6, 7:30 p.m. The European ensemble of four saxophones and a piano plays Gershwin to Glière. $22 advance tickets: 633-5159 or boothbayoperahouse.com. $27 door.
- Country & Western Concert with Dale Watson and Ray Benson, Saturday, April 8, 7:30 p.m. at Rockland’s Strand Theatre. The duo just released “Dale and Ray” in January. $30 advance tickets: rocklandstrand.com. $35 at the door.
- Kris Kristofferson at Portland’s State Theatre, Thursday, May 4. FMI: statetheatreportland.com, 800-745-3000.
- Coming Up at Thompson’s Point, Portland: The xx on Friday, May 26. Ween on Saturday, June 10. The Shins, Friday, June 16. Elvis Costello & The Imposters on Monday, July 24. FMI: thompsonspointmaine.com.
- David Bromberg Quintet Coming to Rockland’s Strand Theatre, Friday, June 9, at 7:30 p.m. $35 advance tix: rocklandstrand.com. $40 show day.
- Sunday Jams at Rockland’s Sail, Power & Steam Museum, 1:30-4 p.m. FMI: SailPowerSteamMuseum.org.
- Tuesday Jams at the Thomaston Federated Church, 7-9 p.m. Country, bluegrass, old-time. Listeners welcome.
- Free First Friday Music Classes, 6:30-8 p.m., and Second Sunday Hymn Sings, 4-5 p.m., at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Rockland. Both through June.
- Songwriter Sessions at Camden Library, 6-8 p.m. third Tuesdays. All levels welcome. FMI: 236-3440.
- Third Friday Open Mic at Boothbay Harbor Opera House, 7 p.m. all winter. 6:30 p.m. sign-up.