Music Calendar Listings
For the Week beginning April 20
Please Take Note:
Email calendar listings to email@example.com or mail to The Free Press Calendar, 8 North Main St., Suite 101, Rockland, ME 04841 or FAX to 596-6698 by noon the Friday before the Thursday publication date. Please include your name, address and phone number.
THURSDAY, APRIL 20:
- Scotty River Trio at Opera House at Boothbay Harbor, 6:30 p.m. Steve Jones, Scott Elliott and Paul Mellyn go free-form in the Upstairs Bar. $5 cover.
- Open Mic at Marsh River Coop in Brooks, 5 Veterans Highway, 7-9 p.m. Share your poetry, stories, original music, comedy, puppetry, performance art, or step onto the soap box. FMI: 722-3654.
- Wolf Eyes at SPACE Gallery in Portland, 8:30 p.m. The experimental music legends return to the revamped SPACE after a decade. All ages. Also on the bill: Wei Zhongle & Lingua Ignota. $10 advance/$12 show day: space538.org.
- Mighty Mystic at Port City Music Hall, Portland, 9 p.m. 18+ show. Reggae by the younger brother of Jamaica’s prime minister. $12 advance/$15 show day: portcitymusichall.com.
FRIDAY, APRIL 21:
- The Honeycreepers at Rock City Cafe, Rockland, 7-9 p.m. Guitarist Matt Shea and vocalist Kelsea Burch go from folk to funk.
SATURDAY, APRIL 22:
- Palaver Strings at Rockport’s Union Hall, 6 p.m. in Bay Chamber Concerts’ Music@Dusk series. With Gawler Sisters and Bennet Konesni. $30 adults/$10 under 25. FMI: baychamberconcerts.org.
- 6th Annual Spring Fling at Second Congregational Church, Warren, 6 p.m. A night of music with duo Neil Stetson & Evelyn Anderson, Rusty Hinges, and Rosey and Friends, emceed by the Rev. Andrew Stinson. Refreshments served afterward. Free-will offering taken for the steeple restoration project.
- Will Brown at Rock City Cafe in Rockland, 7-9 p.m. He plays guitar and sings folk, Americana and transatlantic tunes with singing along encouraged.
- Caribbean Night at the Opera House in Boothbay Harbor, 7 p.m. Slip on your flip flops and dance to the Pan Fried Steel Drum Band. Specialty cocktails available. $10 advance: boothbayoperahouse.com. $15 at the door.
SUNDAY, APRIL 23:
- Two Portland Symphony Orchestra Performances, at Merrill Auditorium in Portland. PSO performs Beethoven’s 9th Symphony and Barber’s Adagio for Strings at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 23, and 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 25. Come early for Concert Conversation and stay for a PostConcert Q&A with the artists. $25-$75: porttix.com, 842-0800.
MONDAY, APRIL 24:
- Anthony Gomes Band to Play Twice at Time Out Pub in Rockland, at 7 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday. $15 cover.
THURSDAY, APRIL 27:
- “A Soothing of Sorrows,” 7 p.m. at Belfast Free Library. HeartSong offers an evening of a cappella music for anyone who has experienced grief due to a broken relationship, death of a loved one, loss of a job or friend or home, or national/global uncertainty. Light refreshments served after the program. FMI: 841-1715.
- 12th Annual Trekkapalooza, Friday, April 28. Theme is Legends and Icons. Doors 6:30 p.m. Chem-free, all-ages show at 7 p.m. This year’s battle of the bands will also star past winners, who pay tribute to musical icons we lost in 2016, and the Oceanside High School Lip Sync Challenge, decided by audience vote. $10 advance/$12 show day: trekkers.org.
- Rockport Folk Festival Reunion Concert at Rockport Opera House, on Friday, April 28, at 7 p.m. Gordon Bok, Bob Zentz, Nick Appollonio, Bob Stuart, and John and Ellen Gawler perform. $20 tickets: gordonbok.com, 236-2707.
- Double Bill in Belfast: Sugarbush and The Midnight Riders, Saturday, April 29, at 7 p.m. at American Legion Post 43. The female trio and the Knox County boogie kings play. $5-$10 sliding scale.
- Album Release Concert by Greg Boardman, with Julia Plumb and Nolan Rogers, Sat., April 29, 7:30 p.m. St. Margaret’s Church, Belfast. Songs & fiddle tunes, old & new, all acoustic. By donation.
- 2 Performances of “Requiem for the Living” and “Ellingtonia” in Newcastle, Sheepscot Valley Chorus and a chamber orchestra perform at 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 29, and again Sunday, April 30, at Second Congregational Church. Tickets at Sherman’s Bookstore, Boothbay Harbor, Maine Coast Bookstore, Damariscotta, Treats, Wiscasset and at the door.
- Young Stars of Maine Prize Winners’ Concert at Rockport Opera House, Sunday, April 30, at 4 p.m. Free concert by winners of Bay Chamber Concerts and Music School’s annual prize program. FMI: rockportoperahouse.com.
- The Dustbowl Revival at Rockland’s Strand Theatre, Friday, May 5, 7:30 p.m. Free-form funk with big brass and fast string picking. $15 advance/$18 door: rocklandstrand.com., 594-0070.
- Coming to Thompson’s Point, in Portland: The xx Friday, May 26. Foster the People Friday, June 9. Ween Saturday, June 10. The Shins Friday, June 16. Elvis Costello & The Imposters Monday, July 24. FMI: thompsonspointmaine.com.
- David Bromberg Quintet Coming to Rockland’s Strand Theatre, Friday, June 9, at 7:30 p.m. $35 advance tix: rocklandstrand.com. $40 show day.
- Sunday Jams at Rockland’s Sail, Power & Steam Museum, 1:30-4 p.m. FMI: SailPowerSteamMuseum.org.
- Tuesday Jams at the Thomaston Federated Church, 7-9 p.m. Country, bluegrass, old-time. Listeners welcome.
- Free First Friday Music Classes, 6:30-8 p.m., and Second Sunday Hymn Sings, 4-5 p.m. at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Rockland. Both through June.
- Songwriter Sessions at Camden Library, 6-8 p.m. third Tuesdays. All levels welcome. FMI: 236-3440.
- Third Friday Open Mic at Boothbay Harbor Opera House, 7 p.m. all winter. 6:30 p.m. sign-up.